Our network

KFD: Woman rescued after fire at unauthorized assisted living home | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

KFD: Woman rescued after fire at unauthorized assisted living home
News


ID=15153777

(WBIR) One woman was taken to the hospital after a fire Friday morning at a North Knoxville home that was unknowingly being used as an assisted living home, according to the Knoxville Fire Department. Officials said the home also did not have smoke detectors.

KFD Captain D.J. Corcoran said crews responded to the scene around 7:30 a.m. Friday and found smoke coming from the home on the 2400 block of McCroskey Avenue.

A female caregiver was helping three elderly people to safety when crews arrived. Firefighters found out one woman was still trapped inside.

Captain Chip Key and firefighter Henry Bookhardt made their way into the house and found the missing woman's room, which was also where they found the fire. The two put out the fire and pulled the woman to safety. She was taken to UT Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Captain Corcoran told 10News the woman has since been transferred to Vanderbilt's Burn Unit for treatment.

Investigators determined the fire started in the victim's room, but have not released a cause yet.

KFD said it appears the address was unknowingly being used as an assisted living home and did not have smoke detectors.

The owner of the home found placement at a second property for the three other elderly individuals who were living there.

No other injuries were reported. KFD said the proper state agencies and the city's building department will be made aware of the findings.


News

North Knox Businesses