Our network

Family starts fire in closed-off fireplace | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Family starts fire in closed-off fireplace
News


(WBIR) A Knoxville family who wanted to use their fireplace to warm up Saturday, found themselves in a dangerous situation. Luckily no one was hurt in the incident, but emergency officials are using the opportunity to remind everyone about fire safety.

Officials said the family renting a home on the 600 block of Radford Place didn't know the fireplace had been renovated and covered at some point.

Fire crews found heavy smoke coming from the house when they arrived.

They said heat from the fire rolled over the chopped off chimney and caused a fire between the walls. Firefighters eventually put out the flames.

The Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary housing for Saturday.

Officials are reminding everyone to consult a certified chimney sweep before burning anything in a fireplace.


News

North Knox Businesses